Saturday, June 6, 2015

Surly Overrated

Today I have Surly's Overrated in my glass.  And I'll be honest with you, my first thought was that maybe there's a little truth in the name. I wasn't immediately wowed.  I didn't initially feel that my search across several stores to pay $10 for a four pack of this beer was worth it.  But slowly it unpeeled like a better-smelling onion and revealed itself to me and it's really a very good IPA.  Maybe a little thin for my taste, but definitely a complex beer!  Some grapefruit, a definite but not overwhelming aspirin bitterness, but most interestingly a mild but pervasive wintergreen note shining through on the finish.  Nice work!  Little confused about the artwork though.  Little red, decent amount of white, and mostly blue, with stars, fireworks, and fighter planes...this looks like a Fourth of July beer.  But today is June Sixth.  Help me out guys.


1 comment:

  1. I think Surly is brand new in Wisconsin. I saw it for the first time at Woodman's in Sun Prairie yesterday. I bought a four pack of Furious, and it was awfully good. I will try Overrated the next time I feel like paying too much for beer.

    ReplyDelete