Thursday, May 28, 2015

Founders Imperial Stout

Today I have Founders' Imperial Stout in my glass. I'll be tasting this one in four sessions, since I bought a four pack of it. I don't have a single favorite beer, but I do get especially excited each year when this one comes out. I can't say I've had anything else quite like it. Perfection from the label (featuring a Russian style eagle) to the last drop. Just don't make the mistake of pouring yourself a second. In my experience that's just too much flavor. Overwhelms the taste buds. But the first bottle is delightful.

Founders chooses to make their Imperial Stout with loads of hops, but I wouldn't say it's at all reminiscent of a black IPA (as I found with Victory Beer's Storm King). Instead, the massive hopping seems to add another layer of texture into a beer centered around 10 different roasted malts. The result is sublime.

Founders Imperial Stout pours dark as sin, with a quickly settling tan head. There's plenty of coffee and roasted malt on the nose. One of my favorite things about this beer is the way it doesn't need to age for a minute to be palatable. Other Russian Imperial Stouts need a few months to cool off before consumption. By contrast, Founders is delicious fresh out the gate, and I prefer it good and fresh.

Founders Imperial Stout is big, black, smooth, and rich on the tongue. It's got a nice little kick at the end to let you know it's not too smooth. This one ages fast; let it sit for a few months and it slowly morphs into a different beer. The hops subside. It becomes a little more like all the other excellent Imperial Stouts. At the end of the day, y'all can keep your Ten Fidy, I'm going to stick with Founders Imperial Stout.

Bjorn.

Editor's note: Bullshit he doesn't have a favorite. Yes he does. This is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment