Thursday, May 14, 2015

Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA

Today I have Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter in my glass. I do like Sierra Nevada on the whole. Not every beer, not every time, but I've enjoyed a good number of their offerings over the years. Hop Hunter sounds like it could go either way.

It sounds fairly close to Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid, which is the only other beer I've had which used hop oil instead of physical hops. I've had mixed reactions to Hop Stoopid, so I'm curious but wary. Beer pours out golden, with a decent head. Noses strong, but soft hops, piney and thick. Nose is deceptive, though. This one seems a bit weak and watery. Hops seem indistinctly present, as if behind a curtain. Hops come through a bit more on the finish, but overall I'd say this is a lackluster effort.

It is, however, a drinkable and not unenjoyable beer. Inoffensive at worst and best. I suppose all things considered, it's not bad for the price. It's not a bad budget beer option, but it wouldn't be my first pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment