Thursday, April 9, 2015

Ballast Point Sculpin

Today I have Ballast Point's Sculpin in my glass. Ballast Point is new to the Midwest and I'm at least a little curious about them. As a long-time fisherman I take notice of a beer who names all of their bottlings after fish and I'm even more intrigued when I'm unfamiliar with the fish in question. The Sculpin is a kind of funny looking fish. Take a look at one of Ballast Point's bottles if you've never seen one, or better yet open one with me.

Sculpin pours richly golden with little head. It has a deep sweet nose full of tropical fruits. It's smooth and easy to drink without any massive hop bite. It does have a little nice nibble on the finish though, and lingers citrusy in the mouth. Apparently Ballast Point also makes a version of this with Habanero Peppers, which sounds like it would be fun. Likewise I will be watching for their Grapefruit Sculpin.


Side note: this beer goes great with a fish fry. Side-side note: as I write more of these the format will tighten, as will my writing. I will become a machine. I will become one with my machine. Our words will warm your winters and cool your summers. Don't ask how it works. You cannot dissect gossamer. Magic falls apart under the microscope.

Bjorn.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to buy a 6 pack of Ballast Point Sculpin a few weeks ago. I saw the $15 price tag, and I decided I am too cheap. Damnit, Bjorn. Now that you reviewed it, I have to try it. Grapefruit Sculpin was the same price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would recommend keeping your eyes open for a place where you can find a single bottle. I've paid about $3 around Milwaukee for Sculpin singles. It's a good way to try different things without committing to a full six pack. I'm a big fan of the Grapefruit Sculpin (to be reviewed later), but the standard issue is quite good as well. Have not tried the Habenero yet, nor have I heard very inspiring reviews from others, though I would still pay $3 for a single if I could find one.

    ReplyDelete