Thursday, April 2, 2015

Bell's Expedition (2012 Vintage)

Today I have Bell's Expedition in my glass. Every year devotees await the release of this annual beer from the esteemed Michigan brewery, though I think it best with at least a few month's age to take the kick off of its 10.5% ABV. Fortunately for me, this bottle has been left to "sit quietly in your (my) cellar, aging and improving while you (I) wait for the moment that seems perfectly appropriate for its consumption."

I think three years and some change is enough aging for this one, and the first issue of Beer'n with Bjorn is the right occasion for consumption so I'm going to open this up and tell you what I find:

The first thing I notice is a massive nose of dark roasted malts. I'm getting very dark chocolate (110% cacao) and some sweetness. A slight tan head forms, but it quickly dissipates. The aging has smoothed out the rough edges on the palate; this stout goes down velvety smooth with a parting satisfying smack at the end. The finish lingers with tons of licorice, chocolate, and dark coffee. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this may be one of my favorite Russian Imperial Stouts.

In summation, I recommend buying a six pack of it and trying one fresh. Then try another one in six months or so. Then another the following year. And if you like it, buy another six pack!

Bjorn.




4 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Bjorn. Nice to see you return to form after those legendary whisky columns. Don't believe I've tried this one but I'll keep an eye out. Rather different, but in terms of high-ABV stouts I recommend checking out the Central Waters reserve bourbon-barrel barleywine. Just started popping up at a bunch of Wisco shops.Similar to New Glarus, I think their limited edition beers tend to be worlds better than the year-round stuff. This one's a fucking winner. Believe it goes for about $13 for a four-pack.
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam. I've had several of CW's bourbon aged stouts in the past, but never their barleywine. Is it really sweet? Barleywines have been a bit too sweet for me in the past, though NG's is sort of like a step between a barleywine and a double IPA. Probably my favorite of the style. Good to hear from you.

      Cheers,
      Bjorn

      Delete
  2. It is certainly sweet, but from what I can recall no sweeter than Goose Island Bourbon County and other standards of the bourbon barrel stout variety. I'm making that comparison because I haven't had many barleywines, and this really comes across more like a bourbon-aged stout in terms of the viscosity and flavor profile. Great beer, but yeah, might not be your thing if you don't like the sweets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious enough to try it if I can track down a single bottle or maybe find it in a bar, though I tend to prefer it when the bourbon aging doesn't show too heavily. I'm a big fan of KBS from Founders and Big Bad Baptist from Epic, though I can't think of many other beers I've had that offer a subtle bourbon barrel influence instead of a smack on the mouth. If you want to try some other barleywines I'd recommend Bigfoot from Sierra Nevada and Old Foghorn from Anchor.

      Delete