Thursday, April 23, 2015

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Ernest Hemingway fishing at Walloon Lake, Michigan
1916, image in the Public Domain.
Today I have Bell's Two Hearted Ale in my glass. This is another old favorite. It was the first IPA style beer I had, and it changed the way I looked at beer and hops. I've since gone on to have lots of better beer, and a few disappointing bottles of Two Hearted, but on a good day Bell's Two Hearted can, like the Hemingway story it's named for, stand with the best. Today was one of those days:

Bell's Two Hearted pours a hazy amber color into the glass with a slight and quickly diminishing head. Rich and piney hops meld with tropically fruity ones to provide a pleasing nose and palate. A strong malt backdrop holds everything firmly in place. Hops round out the finish with pleasantly stinging bite. Two Hearted is a good choice for the hop novice who wants to learn something new, and it's also a welcome familiar option for the more experienced.

Try a Bell's Two Hearted if you haven't had one in awhile. Give it a go it you've never had the pleasure. Try it again in a few months if you're disappointed. It's worth trying again, because when it's good, it's good, even if it's not always so good.


3 comments:

  1. One of my absolute favorites! Although I am not sure I appreciate you implying I am a "hop novice."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Implication dropped, see edit.

      Delete
  2. Imply away. I was kidding. It's a great beer regardless.

    ReplyDelete