Friday, October 9, 2015

Bell's 30th Anniversary Ale

Today I have Bell's 30th Anniversary Beer in my glass.  Bell's has been around for a long time.  I've been around slightly longer.  Today I am celebrating my 33rd anniversary of being alive with the beer that Bell's made to celebrate their 30th Anniversary of being, um, alive.  Anyway, it's good.  

This darker than dark Imperial Stout pours out with a very quickly settling head.  It weighs in at a full 11% ABV, but tastes notably less boozy and hot than a fresh bottle of Bell's standard Imperial Stout, Expedition.  As a rule, I would say Expedition should always be aged a few months to take the bite off, but this one is ready fresh out the gate.  There's a bit of sweet licorice and molasses in there, and a pleasant bitter hoppiness and cacao on the finish.  This one sits deceptively light on the tongue compared to my recollection of Expedition and my expectation from an 11% beer.  I'd recommend picking up a single of this beer, as I don't think it's really worth the price for a full six pack, but it's definitely worth trying.  It decorates the glass nicely with foam, and has a pleasant interplay of flavors, but ultimately I think it comes off a little too light in the body and heavy on the hops to be one of my favorite Imperial Stouts.


No comments:

Post a Comment